November 23, 2006
Zune at Work !!!
As we all know Microsoft’s response to the Ipod is here , the Zune , we talk about things which might make it or break it.
- Ability to send photos, and music files from Zune-to-Zune via WiFi. Photo files may be shared without restrictions. For restrictions on Music Sharing , see negative below.
- Firmware upgrades are possible.
Wallpapers may be set in the Zune Player.
- Fm Radio (Ipods lack inbuilt radio) , song name might be displayed if the radio station supports it.
- The Zune will play standard podcast files, which are usually available in unprotected MP3 or AAC format. However, the Zune software lacks full podcast support, such as a directory and automatic downloading via RSS feeds. A Zune team member has stated that in the future “We’ll ship podcasting, and we’ll call it “Podcasting” when we do.”
- The player software will automatically convert audio and video in a format not supported by the Zune into a format that is. (e.g. a video with a resolution of 720×540 will be converted to a resolution of 320×240 if necessary).
- You can tell other people having Zunes near you, what you are listening.
- Zune Sharing – Its easy to make a Zune to Zune song transfer , perhaps too easy , thats why every time a song is transferred Zune to Zune it gets limited to a three day or three play restriction , which ever comes first. Plus a play is counted if a song is played for 1 minute or half the song (whichever is shorter). Even if the song is recorded , non-copyrighted , this restriction applies.
- Crippled Wifi – The Wifi only allows a Zune to connect to another Zune , not a computer or a Wifi Hotspot.
- No hard Drive – The Zune also cant be used as an external hard-drive unlike an Ipod.
The following comes pre-loaded in a Zune
- Band of Horses, “Wicked Gil” (Sub Pop)
- Bitter:Sweet, “The Mating Game” (Quango Music Group)
- CSS, “Alala (Microsoft edit)” (Sub Pop)
- Darkel, “At The End of The Sky (edit)” (Astralwerks)
- Every Move A Picture, “Signs of Life” (V2 Records)
- Small Sins, “Stay” (Astralwerks)
- The Adored, “Tell Me Tell Me” (V2 Records)
- The Rakes, “Open Book” (V2 Records)
- The Thermals, “A Pillar Of Salt” (Sub Pop)
- 30 Seconds to Mars, “The Kill” (Virgin Records)
- BT, “1.618” (DTS Entertainment)
- Chad VanGaalen, “Red Hot Drops” (Sub Pop)
- Coldcut featuring Roots Manuva, “True Skool” (Ninja Tune)
- CSS, “Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death From Above” (Sub Pop)
- Fruit Bats, “Live: The Wind That Blew My Heart Away” (Sub Pop)
- Grandaddy, “Elevate Myself” (V2 Records)
- Hot Chip, “Over and Over” (Astralwerks)
- Kraak & Smaak featuring Dez., “Keep Me Home” (Quango Music Group)
- Kinski, “Live: The Snowy Parts of Scandinavia” (Sub Pop)
- Paul Oakenfold featuring Brittany Murphy, “Faster Kill Pussycat” (Perfecto Records)
- Serena-Maneesh, “Drain Cosmetics” (Playlouderecordings)
- 5boro: “A New York Skateboarding Minute” (Skateboarding)
- Radical Films: “Kranked — Progression” (Mountain Biking)
- TGRTV The North Face (Skiing/Snowboarding)